Arjun Panesar is the founding CEO of DDM Health.
It was during the first year of his undergraduate Master's degree in Computing and Artificial Intelligence (AI) at Imperial College, London in 2002 that his grandfather, Anupam, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes after suffering a quadruple heart bypass.
Not knowing how to manage his lifestyle in a way that suited his cultural and social expectations, Anupam turned to Arjun for guidance on what to eat. It was at this point Arjun founded Diabetes.co.uk, a global community for people with diabetes.
Fast forward over 20 years and Arjun has two decades' experience in big data and AI and leads the development of DDM's evidence-based precision digital health solutions that harness the power of AI to provide precision medicine to patients, health services, and governments across the globe.
Arjun’s work has received international recognition featuring in the BBC, Forbes, New Scientist and The Times, been awarded an array of innovation, business, and technology awards.
Arjun is a best-selling author on the topics of healthcare and AI, authoring two editions of Machine Learning and AI in Healthcare, Precision Health and Artificial Intelligence and contributing to Handbook of Global Health, a major reference work.
Arjun is an advisor to the Information School, University of Sheffield, Visiting Lecturer at University of Warwick, Alumni Fellow to the NHS Innovation Accelerator, and was recognised by Imperial College as an Emerging Alumni Leader for his contribution and impact to society.
- Hanson, P., Summers, C., Panesar, A., Oduro-Donkor, D., Lange, M., Menon, V., & Barber, T. M. (2021). Low Carb Program Health App Within a Hospital-Based Obesity Setting: Observational Service Evaluation. JMIR Formative Research, 5(9), e29110.
- Scott, E., Shehata, M., Panesar, A., Summers, C., & Dale, J. (2022). The Low Carb Program for people with type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes: a mixed methods feasibility study of signposting from general practice. BJGP open, 6(1).
- Abdelhameed, F., Pearson, E., Hanson, P., Barber, T., Panesar, A., & Summers, C. (2022). Health outcomes following engagement with a digital health tool GroHealth app amongst people with type 2 diabetes. In Endocrine Abstracts (Vol. 81). Bioscientifica.
- Summers, C., Griffiths, F., Cave, J., & Panesar, A. (2022). Understanding the Security and Privacy Concerns About the Use of Identifiable Health Data in the Context of the COVID-19 Pandemic: Survey Study of Public Attitudes Toward COVID-19 and Data-Sharing. JMIR Formative Research, 6(7), e29337.
- Hanson, P., Summers, C., Panesar, A., Liarakos, A. L., Oduro-Donkor, D., Oshodi, D. W., ... & Barber, T. M. (2023). Implementation of a Digital Health Tool for Patients Awaiting Input From a Specialist Weight Management Team: Observational Study. JMIR Human Factors, 10(1), e41256.
- Machine Learning and AI in Healthcare: First Edition, Springer Apress (2019).
- Machine Learning and AI in Healthcare: Second Edition, Springer Apress (2021).
- Precision Health and Artificial Intelligence, Springer Apress (2023).